Marius Šumanas, Phd (MF): "I considered to expand my knowledge in Japan."

 My studies in Japan, at Kobe University

12-07-2022 to 12-27-2022


My name is Marius, I‘m PhD (last year) student in Mechanical engineering faculty, Robotics and mechatronics field. Having in mind that my field is wide, I considered to expand my knowledge and look out for different approaches of robotics. And what other best place to look for it than Japan.

The Preparation

Do VILNIUS TECH have any cooperation with Japan universities? – Yes.

Kobe university representative – you need to have a Zoom meeting with the Profesor of faculty you are interested to visit.

Zoom meeting – One hour about my field and what I want, what could be worked on abroad, how I can contribute to their laboratory. Professor: “Ok, I will accept your stay.“

Paperwork. Tickets. Journey. Jetlag. 

The city. Kobe university

Understanding public transport and having local cash is crucial. After putting bags in dormitory and finding university everything stood in its place. I live in Japan now. It‘s so clean everywhere. Everyone is so polite. When entering the laboratory, you have to take your shoes off. They gave me a separate workspace, showed where student cafeteria is. Food in Japan was like a surprise every time and not always was pleasant. So if you are in a good mood, try something new. If not, eat what you already know will be good for you because the symphony in your stomach shouldn't add to the tension of the day.

The university has the newest laboratories and equipment. Lots of what I‘ve researched in papers I could see in action and touch in real life. The timing was not the best because exams for students are getting closer, so I‘ve done my research in private as much as I could without disturbing them.

The Country

Japan has amazing train infrastructure. Speed trains that travel at an average speed of 240 km/h-320 km/h cost 240 € for seven days of unlimited use (if you are a foreigner). I visited Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Himeji cities. Had an opportunity to stand in the center where the first atomic bomb struck 80 years ago. The city was rebuilt and is now fully functional. Museums give you goosebumps and touch your mind in different ways. 3.5-hour journey (500 km) to Tokyo with a speed train, and I‘m in the biggest city in the world. Western buildings with a taste of local restaurants. So much to do, so little time. Good thing I‘ve planned my trip in advance. Still, not everything goes as planned. At least is interesting to see how things go. 

Conclusion

I‘m 196 cm tall - I bumped my head everywhere I could. But it is still a wonderful country.

It's hard to put everything on a few pages. A few photos I took will provide more information than a black-and-white text. I'm grateful to the International Relations Offices at both Kobe University and VILNIUS TECH for allowing me to start on a life-changing journey. The internship gave me deep perspectives on how discipline and collaboration can increase department work in unseen ways.
















Komentarai

Populiarūs įrašai