Studies in South Korea: I arrived in South Korea and asked myself "Is that real?"

Visiting South Korea was always an unreachable goal for me. When I first heard about Erasmus+ I knew right away that I had to apply. I wouldn't say the whole application and mobility period was easy, but it was totally worth it.

Iryna Brolinska, a student of the Faculty of Business Management sharing her experience in South Korea at the University of Ulsan.

When I arrived in South Korea I asked myself "Is that real?". Everything was so beautiful and I felt like I'm in a movie. I couldn't believe that my dream had just come true.

Before I tell you about all the positive sides of South Korea, I must also warn you about some difficulties I have faced. 

South Korea is not used to foreigners

Almost no one speaks English. Believe me, I tried hundreds of times, but Koreans (especially in Ulsan) don't know English, so prepare to speak Korean. Moreover, many facilities (cinemas, hospitals, etc.) require registration with a Korean phone number and name (that consists of only 3 syllables) 

You are minor until 21 (Korean age)

I came to Korea at the age of 20 (18 internationally) and suddenly realized that I'm still a minor. Korean age is calculated in a different way, so please make sure you are an adult before going to Korea. It will make your mobility much easier. 

Cooking restrictions in the dormitory

I'm not sure about other Korean universities, but at the University of Ulsan, any cooking appliances (even knives) were forbidden. Store-bought food is quite expensive, while food in the university cafeteria is very fried and/or spicy. Please be careful if you have a weak stomach.

Shortly speaking about South Korea and Ulsan:

Very easy transportation

Welcoming and friendly people

A lot of entertainment activities and parks

Close to Busan and Daegu, only 2 hours to Seoul 

About the University of Ulsan itself:

The campus is really beautiful, it has everything for students (libraries, book cafes, banks, parks, study rooms, gym, etc.) However, it's hard to find subjects in English, so the options are limited. Overall, I'm really satisfied with the quality of my studies.

To anyone who is considering the University of Ulsan for their Erasmus+ or bilateral exchange –  I totally recommend it. You will open a brand new world, learn many new things and discover a totally different culture!


Komentarai

Populiarūs įrašai