Alika Oraztayeva (VVF): "A separate class was given specifically for Erasmus students"

 Erasmus Studies Experience in Porto


Studies


The whole spring semester I have been studying at the University of Porto, Faculty of Economics (FEP). My study program was in Business Management, but it was necessary to take some economics-related subjects as well. Thus, I had 7 subjects, one of which I took because I had a chance to participate in the class and liked it so much that asked my curator to allow me to put it on official LA. 

Subjects I studied:

       Corporate Strategy (6 ECTS)

       Capital Budgeting (6 ECTS)

       Operational Research (6 ECTS)

       Corporate Finance (the one I asked for addition) (6 ECTS)

       Urban&Regional Economics (3 ECTS)

       HR Economics (3 ECTS)

       Innovation Economics (3 ECTS)




Lectures with 3 ETCS were 3 hours long, whereas 6 ECTS were 1.5 hours long.

The faculty has a good location and there is transportation accessible everywhere. A separate class was given specifically for Erasmus students, where all lectures were held. It was well equipped and convenient in terms of the facility. Students had to have access to the university platforms: local "mano", Moodle and Outlook.

All lectures were held in English. There were usually up to 20 - 25 students in the class from all over Europe.

I genuinely liked professors as they were always involved, qualified, and had a good level of English. According to the knowledge gained, as subjects were connected to each other, topics covered in one were used by me in another. Preparation for exams was hard, but the knowledge gained definitely worth it. You have to be careful with your choice as even if you gain something you are still giving up your grades. For me, marks are important due to my future college-related plans, even though I definitely feel myself way smarter :) My grades were comparatively good, but there was no satisfaction afterward. 




Culture, free time, and leisure


Portugal gave me a lot of traveling opportunities, for which I’m very grateful. Cheap internal flights as well as international ones. With friends, we have visited Italy, 7 cities in Portugal, and Madeira island. Many students are visiting Spain and especially Morocco! However, I was not an EU citizen and couldn’t go due to documental requirements.

Coastline and many unique beaches, parks, and nature overall are unbelievably unique! The most beautiful views I’ve seen so far were in Portugal.

Specifically in Porto, I’ve used to go to several local parties, bars, and clubs. There are many nice and friendly people you can meet, they are more extroverted and open here, so be careful if personal space is crucial for you. Apart from the nightlife which is amazing, there are interesting historical places, churches, and museums.

Surfing was one of the best activities I’ve tried so far and it was super affordable.




Practical advices


  • Do not expect to have easy lectures if there are only 3 credits. They are hard and require effort and attention especially. 
  • Participation in most of the lectures is not mandatory, however, if you miss the lecture you will probably either have to spend a week of tough exam preparation or fail it generally. Thus, you will have to come to classes not to worsen your own GPA. Overall, I would say that professors expect more than they provide, but you have to do that for survival :)
  • Do not expect to get grades soon, everything is super slow.
  • Apartments are quite expensive and as demand is high, you have to check them in advance. Try Idealista or Facebook groups. Contact people and ask about their stay in a particular place.
  • Choose the location of accommodation carefully. Metro must be close to you, otherwise, it would be really hard and frustrating to use buses, since they are not following the time schedule at all.
  • Choose a place with a conditioner. It is super cold inside in winter and can be hot later. Finally, deal with the host that all bills are included in the price.

Conclusion


Concluding, I was complaining a lot in terms of the university. My suggestion for future students is not to go to the University of Porto and generally be careful with the choice. Language barriers were the main problems of my friends coming from Vilnius as well but at Faculties of IT and Psychology.

All students I met were coming back with bad grades and low GPAs, which causes them the loss their scholarships and be granted a place in home universities. Organizational structure fails a lot, especially compared to VILNIUS TECH, I won’t suggest going to this university if you prefer good organizational processes.

However, the country is a must to visit. So, probably traveling to Portugal is the best option.





Komentarai

Populiarūs įrašai