Erika Tsujimoto (KIF): An Internet-less Erasmus+ Experience

 An Internet-less Erasmus+ Experience


I will not write the details for our own sanity, but long story short, my phone fell in the toilet a few minutes before my train to Gandia (Spain). I tried to ‘revive’ my phone after the accident, but it was useless, the screen remained pitch black. My train was leaving soon, so I had no other choice but to get in.


No phone, no Internet, no Google Maps, no social media. I had all the information about the accommodation on my phone, but of course, I couldn’t access it. On the train, my mind decided to have all these philosophical thoughts on how society has become too dependent on their devices, and how we assume that the devices will always be there for us. “Erasmus is starting off great”. I thought.

All I knew was that my accommodation was two blocks away from the beach, near the lighthouse, and I just couldn’t say to the taxi driver to take me to a place without showing any address, so I decided to walk. If I knew that it was going to be an hour and a half walk with all my luggage, I would refuse, but my ignorance and the lack of the Internet made me have one of the best experiences.

I was enjoying the surroundings, carefully observing the architecture of the houses and hotels, the way the streets are made, the nature that was there, the advertisement signs, the graffiti art, the coffee shops, the supermarkets... I was also carefully listening to the way people spoke, the music they were playing, and sometimes I could hear the TV programs people were watching. I kept asking people along the way if I was on the right track to the beach, and they always answered with a big energy and smile. Luckily, I spoke the language.

Usually, it may take a few days to learn about a country, but I quickly adapted to Gandia in a matter of hours. When I saw the sign of “Universidad Politécnica de Valencia” (Polytechnic University of Valencia), a big sigh of relief and excitement came over me, wondering what other adventures I may encounter.

I got to the beach safely. I checked my phone again, and it turned on. The beach had the Internet (I think this is awesome). I called the landlord and things got back to normal again.

Five months went by really quick. There are many changes in your life that you need to adjust and adapt: new friends, new experiences, new food, new music, new study methods... It can be overwhelming, but it is all worth it at the end. One of the best things is that while making new connections you also get to know yourself better.

Maybe you will not have the same tragedy as I had with my phone, but you can try to have an Internet-less experience at least once in a new place (just remember to write down an address and a phone number on paper, somewhere). Erasmus+ is more than recommended, it’s something you cannot miss.


Komentarai

Populiarūs įrašai